In the Media
DANIEL EPSTEIN wants to get one thing straight: He is an unreasonable man. Happily, proudly unreasonable. Entrepreneurs who want to change the world, he says, have got to be a little crazy…
Most large companies know they need to reach new markets, but are baffled by emerging market dynamics. As Epstein says “We are spearheading a campaign to meet the needs of the billions who sit at the base of our world’s economic pyramid… we are unleashing the potential of the largest emerging market in the history of humankind.”
Unreasonable, based in Boulder, Colo., is a bit like the TED conference on steroids… But where TED brings luminaries together for a day or two to discuss a particular problem plaguing the world, Unreasonable focuses on the start-up businesses offering solutions to those problems.
If TED talks and Google Labs copulated and spawned a cruise for the Facebook generation, Unreasonable at Sea would be the result.
Not every company can drive passion like Unreasonable, or create an organic movement that turns into a rapidly expanding brand universe. But there are lessons every business can take away. Unreasonable lives at the convergence of business and belief. As Epstein says “This is not business as usual, this is business unusual.”
The Unreasonable experiment has unequivocally demonstrated the power of an unlikely mix of factors—seclusion, immersion, authentic mentoring, and intense personal bonding—to yield profound individual and organizational transformation during a relatively short period of time.
Below is a list of some of the media coverage that I, or projects I have founded, have received.
- Inc.’s 30 Under 30: “Inside the Radical Incubator for Social Entrepreneurs
- Cover of Sunday New York Times (business section): “Unreasonable, Maybe, but It’s on a Social Mission”
- Forbes Impact 30: “Daniel Epstein and The Unreasonable Institute”
- BBC Business: “Entrepreneurs on Around the World Voyage”
- Inc.: “The World’s Most Unreasonable Entrepreneurs”
- CNN: “Entrepreneurs Take to the Seas for Inspiration”
- Fast Company: “The Next Unreasonable Advantage in Business?”
- 5280 Game Changers: “Wonder Kid”
- TechCrunch: “Unreasonable at Sea to Embark On 100 Day Journey in 2013 To Change The World”
- NY Times Sunday Cover (style and fashion section): “On the S.S. Brainstorm”
- Forbes: “The Unreasonable Institute: Where Ideals Go to Become Businesses”
- The Wall Street Journal: “Turning Unreasonable Ideas Into Reality”
- Business Times Singapore: “The Unreasonable Way to Entrepreneurship”
- VentureBeat: “Yacht Combinator? Step aboard this ship full of startups bound for international waters”
- Entrepreneur: “The Unreasonable Institute”
- Fast Company & Co.Exist: “Meet The Unreasonables”
- ABC News: “Creating a Smarter Show With Entrepreneurial Ideas”
- The Economic Times: Four Indian startups on a ship for global mentoring (Cover Story)
- Colorado Public Radio: “Interviewing Daniel & an Unreasonable Fellow from Pakistan”
- The Next Web: “Meet the socially-focused startups at the Unreasonable Institute Demo Day”
- Blended Profit: “Gamechangers Interview Part 1″, “Interview Part 2″
- Huffington Post: “How Fast Can an Unreasonable Idea Grow?”
- Aol.com video interview with TechCrunch
- CNN Money: “Hackers Set Sail to Save the World”